I love this recipe. As the weather grows warmer I tend to prefer raw food when possible and this one hits the spot. This recipe is vegan, vegetarian, paleo, gluten free and the bomb.
Also, for all of you out there who meal prep (by the way, I salute you), this salad is perfect. Prepare it, bag it, box it and there you go…
(makes 4 generous servings)
- 1/2 small red or white cabbage or a mix
- 1 large carrots
- 1 apple
- Handful cashew nuts
- Fresh mint, coriander and dill (a large handful in total)
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 red chilli (optional)
- To serve: 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1.5 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons The Coconut Company Organic Aminos All Purpose Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar with Mother
- 1 lime (juice)
- 3 tablespoons good quality extra virgin oil
- In a large mixing bowl, prep your veggies, shred by hand the cabbage (discarding the core), julienne the carrot and apple (match stick size). Add the juice of 1/2 lime to keep the apples from oxidising.
- Chop the cashew, fresh herbs and chilli (if using). Add to the veggies.
- Make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients.
- To serve, add the dressing and sprinkle with sesame seeds*
- *It’s best to use the dressing just before you want to eat the slaw, leaving overnight for example will make the nuts and some of the veggies soggy.
How to use
- In a fish taco
- Topped with a fried egg and chilli sauce
- In any sandwich
- Super tasty topped with large avocado chunks
- On its own