As you might know by now I'm a huge fan of superfoods (a food considered especially nutritious or otherwise beneficial to health and well-being). Eating superfoods regularly makes your body healthier, helps you flush out toxins more frequently and leaves you with a healthy glow. And once you start consuming superfoods on a regular basis, you’ll start noticing a difference in not just how you feel, but how you look too!
This salad really does what is says, keeps you full for a long time and gives you an instant feeling that you’ve just eaten something incredibly nutritious.
For the salad:
- 30g cooked quinoa
- 150g fresh kale
- 120g peas, frozen
- 1 handful of green/black olives
- 20g sprouts
- 1 head of lettuce
- 20g toasted seeds
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- Small handful parsley, chopped
- Small handful mint, chopped
- 3 tablespoons houmous
- 1 avocado cut into pieces
- 100g crumbly goats cheese
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- In a large bowl, put the kale and add 1-2 tbsp of lemon juice and massage the kale*.
- Boil a large pan of water and drop the peas and simmer for about 1-2 mins. Drain and let cool.
- Now for the dressing – place the oil, lemon juice, Dijon and garlic in an old jam jar and shake vigorously to mix the ingredients – if you don’t have a jar, whisk the ingredients in a bowl.
- Place all the salad ingredients in a large bowl (quinoa, kale, peas, sprout, lettuce, seeds, red onion and fresh herbs) and mix.
- Separate into plates and add dollops of houmous, avocado and crumbled goats cheese on top (if using) and when you’re ready to serve add the dressing and mix thoroughly.
*Kale is quite tough and fibrous and can be difficult to chew compared to other greens like romaine lettuce or spinach. By massaging it for as little as 2-3 minutes with a little oil and/or lemon juice, it becomes more tender, making it easier to chew and digest. The other reason is to infuse the kale with more flavor before the dressing is added.
The Evolution Organic Team