What is Fermentation?
Fermentation is the chemical breakdown of a substance by bacteria, yeasts, or other microorganisms. Fermentation has long been practiced in food , however is becoming ever-more popular within the food supplement industry. The reason being that in can result in a superior supplement!
There are many benefits of fermentation when it comes to supplements. Fermentation can result in the formation of active antioxidant molecules which can reduce oxidative stress in the body. The most well known benefit is that this process will increase the bioavailability of the product. This means that it is absorbed more efficiently by the body. The nutrient levels of the product will increase substantially and new nutrients, such as digestive and metabolic enzymes, will be created along the way.
We have put together some of our favourite fermented ranges below and we are sure there will be something for everyone!
The foundation of all Living Nutrition products is a specially developed kefir-kombucha fermentation process, which they apply to organic herbs and foods to create a living nutrition.
This process has 6 essential steps:
- Fresh, organic ingredients (biodynamic, where possible) are chosen. Also, the water used is double filtered and restructured using a specialised system.
- A highly concentrated and active inoculum is created, using a hybrid of organic water kefir grains and organic kombucha
- The inoculum is added to the organic herbs and foods and is fermented in small 10L batches
- After many weeks of daily stirring and testing, the fermentation is complete
- The ferments are then carefully freeze-dried to remove all water and preserve all the delicate nutrients, enzymes and microbes
- Lastly the finished product is encapsulated in an organic plant-based capsule
Our Top Picks from Living Nutrition
Terranova Health Fermented Range
Terranova have teamed up with Fermedics, a supplier of premium fermented raw materials, to produce their high quality fermented range. Terranova and Fermedics share the same passion for high quality ingredients, whole, unadulterated plants and innovative, effective, evidence-based nutrition.
Terranova's fermented range is unique due to the use of specific probiotic strains for each product. These strains will be selected based upon their compatiability with specific botanicals, therefore producing the most active material.
Our Top Picks from Terranova
Dr Mercola Fermented Range
Dr Mercola have included several fermented products within the range. Each supplement will have its own unique method of femrnetation, specifc to the herbs/raw ingredients used. Fermentation will last multiple weeks for each of these, resulting in a top quality product with many additional benefits.
Our Top Picks from Dr Mercola