November is the month where I tend to look for comfort in my cooking and few things are more comforting on a dark night than a bowl of stew – this one is packed with nutrients and will warm the soul as well as the tummy.
As the season changes make sure you winter-proof your diet, and here are a few of the super-health benefits from this recipe.
Organic where possible – serves 4
- 6 x skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 250g sweet potato, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 rosemary sprigs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons pearled spelt
- 500ml chicken stock (or make your own, bone broth would be amazing)
- Small bunch of chopped parsley
To serve: steamed broccoli and/or kale.
- Preheat oven to 190C/fan 170C.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pan and fry the chicken until brown. Scoop out of the pan and add the sliced onions and cook until soft.
- Add the crushed garlic, chopped rosemary and cook for 1 minute followed by the balsamic vinegar then add the spelt, chicken stock, sweet potato and return the chicken to the pan.
- Bring to the simmer then cover and transfer to the oven for 1 hour.
- Stir in the parsley and serve with a big helping of steamed broccoli or kale.