I first published this recipe in 2017. And to this day, I still make it. If like me, peanut butter fills you with joy and you want something a little healthier, then the recipe below screams your name.
For our vegan readers, to make these vegan, just omit the collagen.
These healthy peanut butter cups are made with only a few ingredients. Such as natural peanut butter, cocoa liquor, maple syrup, Himalayan salt, raw cacao butter.
Why did we add collagen? Simple answer is why not? It doesn't affect the taste, the texture and the benefits of collagen are widely known.
Ingredients (Make 12 cups)
100g Cacao Liquor
50g Raw Cacao Butter
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2-3 tablespoons Maple Syrup
2 scoops Collagen Powder
3 tablespoons Natural Peanut Butter
2 teaspoons Maple Syrup
You will need 12 x silicone muffin moulds
- Gently melt the cacao liquor and cacao butter in a bowl over simmering water
- Once melted add the vanilla, sweetener and collagen powder (if using)
- Fill in a silicone mould with a ½-1 tablespoon of the chocolate mix (or enough the fill the bottom of the mould) and let it set for 15 minutes in the freezer
- Mix the ingredients for the filling together and set aside until needed (if it's too runny, pop the bowl in the fridge)
- Add a teaspoon of the peanut butter mix on the chocolate "disk", flatten it with the back of a spoon and cover with another spoonful of chocolate (and a small pinchful of Himalayan Salton top)
- Let it set in the freezer for at least 30 minutes, take out of the mould.
- These beauties will keep in the fridge for 2 weeks.
And about the ingredients we used...
What is Cacao Liquor?
Cocoa liquor, contrary to what its name might suggest, has no connection to alcohol. Also known as cocoa mass or unsweetened chocolate, cocoa liquor is the purest form of chocolate, devoid of any sugar, milk, or other additions.
Cacao enhances mood by causing the body to release serotonin and anandamide, which leads to positive and euphoric feelings. Other known benefits include acting as a cancer-fighting agent, managing cholesterol, and helping to prevent constipation.
Raw Cacao Butter
Cacao butter is the oil extracted when the beans are pressed, separating the butter from the Cacao paste. An essential ingredient for making your own guilt-free raw chocolates.
High levels of antioxidants, magnesium, calcium, vitamins & essential amino acids.
Maple Syrup (I am Canadian after all...)
Maple syrup contains numerous antioxidants
According to studies maple syrup, dark and blackstrap molasses, brown sugar, and raw honey showed higher antioxidant capacity.
Collagen supports skin elasticity, joint and bone health, digestive health, hair and nail growth, and enhancement of muscle mass. Remember, collagen production decreases with age, causing visible signs of ageing.
Natural Peanut Butter
Not all peanut butter us creaed equal. Choose one that has no palm oil, sugar and/or additive. Brands such as Pip & Nut (my go to), Biona, Manilife, Meridian and Whole Earth. These brands are a bit pricier but you get a better for you option.