I made this recipe a few weeks ago when I had a large amount of cabbage and was at a loss as how to use it. I decided to make a firm favourite: coleslaw. Coleslaw is a classic side dish and can be made healthier by packing a good amount of fresh vegetable and herbs and using yoghurt instead of mayonnaise.
I have packed it with cabbage which has high levels of Vitamin C and Vitamin K.
Another ingredient that I have added is the humble but powerful walnut. Walnuts are a powerhouse of nutrition. Walnuts are also rich in antioxidants are a very good source of manganese and copper.
Winter Slaw (serves 4 to 6)
- ½ red cabbage, sliced finely
- ½ white cabbage, sliced finely
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1-2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 apple, skin on - cubed
- 1 cup organic Greek yoghurt
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh of each: dill, mint and parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- Himalayan salt & pepper to taste
- Prepare all of the vegetable and fruit and put them in a large bowl
- In another bowl mix together the yoghurt, mustard, lemon juice and fresh herbs and add to the cabbage mix
- Add chopped walnuts and season to taste.