Immune health seems to be all we are talking about these days. It feels like an unprecedented time, and here at Mushrooms 4 Life we are all doing our best to stay fighting fit, and support you and your health needs too. In terms of immune support, diet and lifestyle are vitally important right now, and we can turn to many herbs, and our fungi friends for a little extra immune support too.
Guest post from Mushrooms 4 Life
Mushroom supplements contain antioxidants, polysaccharides and polyphenols which help to support the immune system. Many mushrooms contain key nutrients like Vitamin D, Iron, Selenium and Vitamin C which are important for the body and overall health. Mushrooms are especially beneficial for immune support due to their beta-glucans content. Beta-glucans enhance macrophage and natural killer cell function- two important cells for our defences, and stimulate the immune response to invading pathogens and infected cells.
Many mushroom supplements contain a wide variety of compounds that are anti-viral, anti-inflammatory and contain antioxidants to protect the body. Mushrooms produce many strong anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal compounds in order to be able to survive in their own environment and many of these compounds have been isolated and used to form common antibiotics and other medications. These are some of our favourite mushrooms for immune support:
- Maitake is one of the most anti-viral mushrooms, showing inhibition of many viruses and is known for its ability to support our immune defences.
- Reishi mushroom powder may provide anti-viral support and help production of T-cells which form part of our adaptive immune system.
- Chaga has a long history of use for immune health, and traditionally has been used to treat a number of viral conditions. Its triterpene and betulinic acid compounds are anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.
- Cordyceps modulates immune response to viral infections and has been shown to inhibit viral replication. Cordyceps militaris species has been shown to be one of the most effective anti-viral mushrooms. Cordyceps powder helps to support the bodies innate immunity (our front line of defence). Cordyceps is also an excellent choice for respiratory conditions and revered for its protective benefits for lung health.
- Shiitake is a great choice for supporting the immune system. Known as the “elixir of life”, it has anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Regular shiitake consumption has been shown to improve immunity and the production of immune cells.
Regularly consuming mushrooms in your diet, and adding our mushroom powders and mushroom supplements is a great way to add extra nutrition to your diet to support health. The nutritional benefits of mushrooms cannot be understated and consuming a wide variety of ‘shrooms ensures you get a broader spectrum of beneficial compounds.
It’s important to follow up to the date advice and if you are at all concerned about coronavirus, or suspect you may be suffering from symptoms then follow the current advice issued by Public Health England.