Find a full list of frequently asked questions for Berkey Water Filters here.
The PF-2 fluoride filters are attached to the Black Berkey filters for the removal of fluoride.
2 filters are good for 3,785 liters of water or 1 year, whichever comes first.
Berkey PF-2 reduction elements are especially designed for use in conjunction with the Black Berkey water filters to adsorb the following unwanted elements found in drinking water.
- Arsenic V and pre-oxidized Arsenic III
- Other residual heavy metal ions
The number of PF-2's must always correspond with the number of Black Berkey filters installed in the upper chamber. For example: 4 Black Berkeys (2 sets of 2) would require 4 PF-2s (2 sets of 2), and so on.
- The PF-2 shell is made from safe, non-leaching Polypropylene #5, this is a BPA-Free plastic and is used for food containers such as ketchup bottles and yogurt containers.
- PF-2 filters reduce filtration flow rate by 15-20%.
- Do not boil the PF-2 filters.
Under normal conditions we recommend that each set of two PF-2 filters be replaced after approx. 3,785 liters.
For instance the Royal Berkey system is about 12.3 liters, therefore the PF-2 filters should be replaced after (3,785/12.3) or 307 refills. If the system is refilled about one time per day, the PF-2s should be replaced after 10 months, if the system is refilled about twice per day, the PF-2s should be replaced about every five months. Actual capacity is dependent on the presence of other competing contaminants in the source water. High levels of fluoride, arsenic and heavy metals may reduce the capacity and efficiency of the elements.
Priming the PF-2 Water Filter:
(Attention: PF-2 filters must be primed before use.)
- With blue caps in place, wash the exterior of each PF-2 water filter with a mild dish soap.
- With clean hands, remove both blue caps from each end of the PF-2 water filter.
- Place the rubber-priming button (tan colored) onto one end of the PF-2 water filter and align the hole in the button with the hole in the PF-2 water filter.
- Press the priming button up against a sink faucet so that the priming button creates a seal between the faucet and the PF-2 filter.
- While holding the priming button against the faucet, turn on the cold water gently and allow the water to fill the cavity of the PF-2 water filter and discharge from the opposite end. Allow the water to discharge for at least 20 seconds or until the water runs clear, whichever is longer. Hint: Place your thumb on top of the faucet to apply pressure creating a tighter seal.
- Now repeat the process by turning the PF-2 water filter over and priming the filter from the opposite end in the same manner.
- Prime each additional PF-2 filter repeating steps 3-6.
PF-2 Installation Procedure (PF-2 Installation Instructions PDF):
- Remove the upper chamber from the filtration system and place it upside down on a counter so that the stems of the Black Berkey elements are facing upward.
- With the water flow arrow pointing away from the upper chamber (the PF-2 water filters have threads on one end only) screw the PF-2 water filters onto the stems of each Black Berkey filter 8 revolutions. Attention: a) Do not screw the PF-2 filter on more than 8 revolutions as this may damage the internal media screen b) The flow arrow should point away from the upper chamber.
- Replace the upper chamber onto the lower chamber (the PF-2 water filters should now be hanging in the lower chamber). Fill the upper reservoir with water and let it drain into the lower chamber. When the lower chamber is full, discard this 1st batch of water, which may contain some residual process dust. Your purification system is ready for use. Attention: On a rare occasion it can take up to 5 full chamber flushes/batches before the dust subsides.
While Evolution Organics strives to ensure the accuracy of its product images and information, some manufacturing changes to packaging and/or ingredients may be pending update on our site. Although items may occasionally ship with alternate packaging, freshness is always guaranteed. We recommend that you read labels, warnings and directions of all products before use and not rely solely on the information provided by Evolution Organics. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any diseases.