I drink quite a large amount of coffee and so does my husband and this means we have lots of used coffee ground that goes spare. We use it in our garden, in our food waste and compost bin but my favourite way to use coffee ground is in this simple skin saviour. An all natural coffee and coconut body scrub with minimal ingredients that truly works.
Benefits of using coffee scrub once a week:
- Helps to rejuvenate the skin by smoothing its texture
- The caffeine found in coffee scrubs helps to improve circulation and give the skin a more toned look and feel
- Will help to exfoliate the skin and get rid of dead skin cell which can improve blood flow
- After exfoliating on a weekly basis, you will notice the skin is able to absorb moisture more effectively
- In time it can help diminish things like stretch marks, and acne.
What you'll need:
Large bowl & spoon
1 cup used coffee ground*
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
A few drops of your favourite essential oil (I used Absolute Aromas Grapefruit)
4 teaspoons Himalayan Salt
A mason jar to store the mix
Simply mix the coffee ground with the oil until you have a firm but but spreadable consistency. You might need more oil or a little bit less. Add the essential oil of your choice and the salt. Store the mix in a clean mason jar.
Just before taking a shower, on dry skin, gently massage the coffee scrub and then wash it off. The shower will get covered with the exfoliator (apologies for this but on a plus note, your skin will look brighter and smoother!).
The floor will be slippery so take care. The scrub washes off the wall with hot water.
*This will depends on how wet your coffee ground was. If you use an espresso machine the ground will be dryer than if you use d a French Press.