Protein powders have been popular for a long time with a vast variety available in the market place. With very deeply rooted research into the health benefits make them a great choice for those looking to build lean muscle mass and cut down body fat. Over the past 10 years or so we have seen a substantial rise in the use of protein powders as well-educated and health conscious customers have recognised the broader necessity for adequate amounts of protein in our diets from healthy natural and organics sources.
Proteins are essential for all cellular function and are key not only in the critical aspects of repair and recovery after exercise and in the healing process, but also in keeping blood sugar balanced, energy high and optimising hormone levels naturally, helping us to keep a positive outlook on life.
Top 8 health benefits of eating high quality natural or organic protein on a regular basis:
- Build a powerful and fast metabolism
- Increase potential to lose weight
- Accelerate building lean muscle mass
- Increase speed and effectiveness of healing after injury
- Increase recovery times after illness
- Boost sustained energy levels
- Increase immunity
- Improve cognitive function with higher levels of focus and concentration.
- That’s allot or return for a simple diet change!
In my experience working with clients day to day, the majority of people under-eat protein and over-eat refined carbohydrates which, with varying speed, convert to sugars pushing up the insulin levels leading to weight gain, obesity and a whole world of health problems. This is self-evident as our society is steadily becoming more obese and it’s now widely recognised that it’s not protein and fat that’s causing that rising trend, it’s the sugar.
Is your protein healthy, clean and free of nasties!
There are of course serious considerations when discussing increasing one's protein intake, such as making sure we don’t over-eat protein, that we consume proteins from high quality bio-available (ideally organic) sources, and that we take environmental factors into consideration.
Buying in to organic foods or supplements has so many advantages on so many levels. The food or supplements will be of higher quality having been grown on healthy soils, this means much higher levels of balanced nutrients. Food or raw ingredients for supplements will have been exposed to controlled and significantly reduced (if any) levels of chemicals such as herbicides and pesticides and there will be no additional hormones. These points alone allow us to see that by making the right food and supplement choices we can increase the level of high quality nutrition that were getting giving us greater return from our product choices whilst reducing our exposure to harmful chemicals and poisons.
I believe this is where we begin to see the true power and potential of well sourced natural and organic whole food protein supplements as they offer us a way of eating enough high quality protein to maximise our health whilst minimising our exposure to harmful chemicals and contaminates making sure that we really our getting the true health benefits offered.
Not all proteins are created equal – How do we spot the good ones?
It is a sad truth that not all proteins are created equal. It would appear that the majority of protein supplements on the market are not very good, many are full of sugar, sweeteners, artificial flavours, colourings and other additives not to mention that the base product itself is often very cheap and produced (in the example of whey protein) as a derivative of a commercial farming process. Many companies do not manufacture protein supplements for your health but for their wealth.
If you take whey protein you must be extra careful. It’s often said that whey protein is the most amazingly healthy immune boost and bio available protein around however some say that it’s really not very good. My view is that the best whey proteins are excellent and the worst one are quite frankly terrible for your health and that is why we get such a discrepancy in people’s views on whey. Here at Evolution Organics we only sell high quality natural and organic whey from trusted and reputable sources.
As a basis of any protein or meal replacement product we are looking for no artificial additives of any kind. This means there should be no added sugar or harmful sweeteners. There should be no ‘E’ numbers, no soy protein, and no fillers.
What we are then looking for is a product that is naturally or organically sourced that contains high quality chemical free protein that is both bio available and highly nutritious. You will find that we stock a wide range of such products so to get an idea of what’s good, feel free to browse our range.
3 key variables to look at when choosing a protein that’s right for your needs.
- Plant-based or animal source protein
There are a wide range of plant based proteins powders such as hemp, brown rice, bio fermented whole grain brown rice, yellow pea and pumpkin seed among others. These all have different properties and so have different health giving benefits and are ideal for vegans, vegetarians and anyone who is looking for the highest quality health giving bio-available proteins. If you have digestive problems or a sensitive stomach, plant based proteins are great option.
The whey proteins that we sell come from both natural and organic sources where the cows are grass-fed and hormone free. It’s best to choose whey proteins from cows that are reared for the production of whey rather than whey being a cheap byproduct of another commercial dairy process.
There are many variables for choosing either a plant or animal sourced protein. One big consideration for many is how effectively they can digest the product. It would seem that not everyone can digest whey protein. If you find that you can’t then a plant based protein may be a better choice for you such as Sun Warrior & Warrior Blend Proteins, Vital Greens Vital Protein, Living Fuel Living Protein and Vega Performance Protein (to name a few) all available here are Evolution Organics at very reasonable prices.
- Pure protein source or added extras
If you are looking for more than just a protein then you will find some excellent products with added extras. These include powerful products such as Vega protein and greens, Raw protein and greens from Garden of life and also LivingFuel’s LivingProtein, these are all power packed products that will give you great extra benefits.
- Vega Protein and Greens: Vega Protein & Greens covers the basics as a convenient protein boost that makes nutrition on-the-go feel and taste like a piece of cake. It gives you a convenient protein boost you can take on the go or as part of a healthy breakfast. It contains the equivalent to two servings of greens Including kale, spinach, broccoli, and alfalfa. It also comes in 4 delicious flavours ready to give you a nutritious boots in an easy and convenient way.
- 2. Raw protein and greens from Garden of Life: RAW Protein & greens Real RAW Vanilla is a Certified USDA Organic and Non-GMO Project Verified blend of clean, organic plant protein providing 20 grams of delicious, smooth protein derived from organic pea, organic sprouted brown rice, organic chia, organic navy bean, organic lentil bean and organic garbanzo bean. It’s uniquely blended with six nutrient-rich, energising, organic greens including organic alfalfa grass juice, organic spinach, organic kale, organic broccoli, organic carrot and organic beets. Flavoured with organic vanilla flavour, it is sweetened with organic stevia extract (leaf) to deliver less than 1 gram of sugar.
- Living Fuel’s Living Protein: Contains brown rice protein, fibre, digestive enzymes, prebiotics, probiotics and antioxidants blended into a first class plant based protein product. This is an all-round power house of a product promoting excellent gut health with an excellent source of protein.
- Full meal replacement or protein?
Many proteins, although incredible in their own right, are not suitable for a meal replacement as they are simply not broad enough in the nutritional profile and were not designed for this purpose.
The true power house meal replacement products come from Living Fuel, Garden of life, and Vega. Living Fuel Super Berry Original, Super Berry Ultimate and Super Greens all provide a balanced and super powerful nutritional profile and are suitable as a meal replacement.
The Vega One Nutritional Shakes and the LivingFuel products are key to my weekly nutritional plan. I work very hard and train very hard, so making sure I have an optimal amount of protein and high quality balanced nutrition is key. I find that I can take a full meal replacement shake when I finish work and can be in the gym training within an hour fully energised and ready to go without a long time out to digest. Convenient, quick, very tasty and nutritionally power packed. Perfect. I highly recommend giving them a try.
In a time when many people are under-eating high quality protein and over-eating refined carbohydrates and cheap meat-based protein products, our range of high quality natural and organic whole food protein provides an excellent solution for those looking for robust health and optimal performance for life.
Whatever you’re looking for in a protein or meal replacement we should have one to meet your needs!