I am always on the lookout for healthy snacks for my loved ones (this includes my family and also the Evolution Organics team). Saying this, when deciding to make a healthier version of a staple bakery good (i.e a cupcake/muffin) it can be a tad more difficult.
In a traditional cupcake and/or muffin you have white flour, white sugar, butter and eggs. I am happy to use butter & eggs in our recipes but the sugar and white flour I like to either reduce dramatically or simply cut out. This is where it can become tricky as replacing the any key components often means you may compromise on taste and texture.
This is why I am very excited to share this recipe with you. It's made without a drop of white flour or sugar and it's low carb, spongy and delicious. The nutty topping is something I added after my third attempt and I am glad I did.
These Superfruit Muffins are a perfect "grab & go" snack and make a top notch quick breakfast.
Superfruit Grab & Go Muffins
Ingredients (makes 6)
50g Coconut flour, sifted with 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
3 organic eggs
2 tablespoons of your choice of sweetener (I used Living Fuel's Therasweet) OR maple syrup OR coconut sugar
1 tablespoon Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar with Mother
2 heaped tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
Optional Nutty Topping
1 tablespoon coconut sugar
1 teaspoon groundcinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup mixed nuts (cashews, almond, pecans, ect)
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 and line a muffin rack with 6 silicone muffins cases that have been greased - preventing any sticking
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs and add the butter/coconut oil, salt, apple cider vinegar, your choice of sweetener and vanilla
- Add the coconut flour, and combine thoroughly. Coconut flour absorbs lots of moisture so please do not panic if your mix looks a tad dry
- Tip 1/2 berries in the batter, and gently fold. Divide into the 6 cases and add the remaining berries on top on the muffin, pushing down slightly**
- Add a pinch of cinnamon on each muffin.
- Bake for 20 minutes and let cool completely before serving
** For the optional nutty topping: mix the nuts together in a blender until it forms a very coarse sand texture. Add the cinnamon, vanilla and coconut sugar by hand and add a tablespoon on each muffin before baking them**