Who doesn’t love a piece of cake? I do and I love it even more if I know it’s homemade with organic, healthy and nutritious ingredients. I’ve chosen a cake recipe for April as I thought you might be in need of a treat. So, let me explain a bit more about the ingredients and tell you how such a delicious cake can also be healthy!
- 165g blanched ground almonds
- 70g coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking powder (aluminium free)
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 115g unsalted butter, softened
- 100g coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 5 eggs
- 75g chia seeds
- Freshly squeezed juice of 2 large oranges
- 1 tablespoon grated organic orange zest
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C. Line a 22cm loose bottom cake tin with baking parchment and grease lightly with butter
- In a large mixing bowl add the softened butter and coconut sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and almond extracts. Add the eggs one at a time and mix until blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the orange juice to the egg and butter mixture and mix until you can no longer see the pockets of dry ingredients throughout the batter.
- Add the orange zest and chia seeds and mix until evenly distributed.
- Using a spatula, spread the batter evenly in the prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a sharp knife comes out clean. Cool completely on a cooling rack before turning the cake out of the pan and serving.
In Health and Happiness