I made this a few weeks ago. I wanted to create a healthy chocolate "granola" bar for myself but mostly for our 4 years old daughter. She loves helping out in the kitchen and I knew if I said "chocolate" she would be more than happy to lend a hand (and lick the bowl).
With lots of nuts, seeds, healthy fats, nut butter and of course, as the title suggests, quinoa and chocolate these are sure to be enjoyed by adults and children alike (that is to say they were a hit in office and with my 4 years old!).
These little goodies will provide you a healthy dose of fibre, protein and vitamin E too (mostly from the nuts & seeds). The chocolate coating is just a bonus and cacao is also loaded with polyphenols which can improve blood flow to your brain therefore improving brain function. Cacao is also helpful when it comes to feeling happy... I think we all agree on that!
Ingredients (makes 10-12 bars)
25g pumpkin seeds
25g sunflower seeds
25g hemp hearts
Pinch Himalayan salt
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
4 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
10 dates (soaked in 100ml boiling water for 10 minutes)
Raw chocolate coating
100g cacao liquor
50g cacao butter
2-3 tablespoons of maple syrup or coconut nectar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Pinch Himalayan salt
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 and place the quinoa, oats, almonds, cashews and pumpkin seeds on a baking sheet, bake for 10 minutes and let cool
- Blitz the dates and soaking water* to form a syrup
- Make the raw chocolate coating by adding all of the ingredient in a bowl over simmering water. Let this cool but not set!
- In a large bowl, mix the nuts & seeds with the hemp hearts, salt, vanilla, peanut butter and date syrup until the mix forms a ball
- Line a metal or glass baking tin (25 x 25cm approx) with parchment paper, press the mix firmly to set. You want to press as much as possible otherwise the bars will break apart when you cut into them
- Cover the nut and seeds mix with your chocolate and leave to cool in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Cut into bars. These will keep in the fridge for 10 days.