When I was 28 years old I got braces. My teeth looked straight but I still had baby teeth at the back of my mouth that were basically shedding away. Left to its own device, this could cause damage to my jaw and I got braces to prevent this from happening. This left me with beautiful, straight teeth.
My dental work was expensive and worth it. After all, your teeth play a crucial role in your health. This got me thinking about my teeth a lot more. The majority of people think that natural toothpaste is not as efficient as the more "mainstream commercial ones" (I did). And because I had spent so much money getting my teeth straighten and whiten (quite common after braces) I wanted to keep them that way. So I bought the commercial versions not even thinking about it.
The problem with the more conventional toothpastes is that it's, once again, filled with ingredients that are toxic and not essential at all. It's possible to get clean teeth without fluoride**, triclosan, SLS, SLES, parabens, heavy metals and chalk ... after all over 80% of the toothpaste you use can pass through your mouth directly into your bloodstream so it's worth looking at the ingredients before buying toothpaste.
Who wants all of that into their body?
Nowadays, natural toothpaste is more readily available and what you get is a better-for-you toothpaste that won't affect your enamel and will keep your mouth and teeth clean. And most importantly, is free from toxic substances!!
Here are my favourites:
- Dr Mercola Toothpaste with Tulsi - Cool Mint - I liked this and my teeth and mouth felt nicely clean but I wish it had frothed more. It had a very basic, natural feel to it. However, it contains some of the best ingredients I have seen in a toothpaste (Tea Tree Oil, Tulsi, Xylitol, and Aloe Leaf!) so worth a try.
- North American Herb OregaFRESH P73 Toothpaste Mint - This is my favourite one, it contains oregano oil (P73 oregano oil is high in antioxidants and is known to have antibacterial properties). I love it now but it took me a bit of time to get used to the taste (from the oregano). My mouth, gums and teeth felt super clean. Really good.
- Splat Oral Care, Biomed Charcoal Triple Whitening Toothpaste - This is a new addition to the Evolution Organics website and as I love anything to do with charcoal I knew I had to try it. The toothpaste itself is silver/grey and doesn't leave your mouth black. It froths beautifully and I have already noticed that my teeth look brighter. The Biomed range from SPLAT Oral Care is worth a look.
- Dr Bronner's Fluoride Free Peppermint Toothpaste - The first natural toothpaste I tried and still one of the best. It cleans deeply and is made from over 70% organic ingredients. Dr Bronner's toothpaste range comes in 3 flavours and although it's low foaming, for some reason it works for me. Last ages too!
- For little ones we have King Fisher Children's Strawberry Toothpaste, Green People Children Toothpaste Spearmint and also in mandarin & orange and we also sell a BPA free and 100% recycled toothbrush from Preserve.
Flossing is also incredibly important to any healthy dental routine so we got your need for natural floss covered.
Dr Mercola Dental Floss is made using an all-natural blend of essential oils and enzymes to help maintain your healthy teeth and gums. The wax coating is vegan from rice and is completely free of all animal source ingredient.
Evolution Organics also sells tooth powders, mouthwash and supplements to help keep your mouth and teeth in tip top shape. Check our dental section HERE.
Let us know what you think!
** I can't stress enough that I am not a dentist and if your healthcare practitioner has advised you to use fluoride, then by all mean this is your decision.