OK, so I might be a bit late on the pulse but I only recently got really into the idea of cold brew. I knew you could make it and I was being lazy but then, whilst I was taking a walk with my daughter, I noticed that even Starbucks were in on it, they were advertising 3 types of cold brew on their summer menu. I mean, this got me into action, I had to make my own (healthier) version straightway.
What’s so cool about cold brew? To start off, cold brew is…
Easy to make, I mean REALLY easy. Super tasty. Less acidic than conventional coffee. Smoother in flavour. You can have cold brew anytime you want, you just need to be prepared to wait 24 hours. I know, preparation is key here. Once it’s made, cold brew can stay in an airtight container (a large mason jar being my favourite) for up to 1 week but let’s face it, it won’t last that long will it?
What you will need
- A fine sieve OR a french press
- 1 litre glass jar with a tight fitting lid
- Coffee or spice grinder (or even a blender, that’s what I used for this recipe)
1 cup whole bean coffee (Bulletproof)
1L room temperature filtered water (I use the Santevia water filter at home)
- Sterilise your jar with boiling water
- Grind your coffee so it resembles dried breadcrumbs, anything smaller and you end with over infused coffee with a gritty and muddy finish, not good
- Put the ground coffee in the sterilised jar and add the filtered water and stir with a spoon
- Let it rest in the fridge for at least 18 hours (24 hours is best)
- Strain the coffee and store the cold brew in the fridge for up to 1 week.
How to serve
Naked brew: 3-4 ice cubes 1/2 cup cold brew 1/2 cup water
How to: in a large glass, put the ice cubes, the cold brew and water and mix.
Almond joy: 3-4 ice cubes 1/2 cup cold brew Pinch vanilla seeds 1/2 cup homemade almond mylk (tastier than shop bought version) 1 drizzle of maple syrup on top
How to: in a large glass, put the ice cubes, cold brew and vanilla seeds. Mix well and gently add the almond milk and a drizzle of maple just before serving.
Coconut madness: 3-4 ice cubes 1/2 cup cold brew Pinch cinnamon 1/2 cup coconut mylk 1 drizzle maple syrup Top with a few coconut chips
How to: in a large glass, put the ice cubes, cold brew and cinnamon. Mix well and gently add the coconut milk, drizzle of maple syrup and coconut flakes just before serving.
Spicy & strong: 1 cup of cold brew 1/2 teaspoon of cocoa powder 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon Pinch of chilli 1 tablespoon maple syrup Crushed ice (1 cup)
How to: Mix the cold brew, cocoa powder, cinnamon, chilli and maple syrup in a small bowl with a fork. Put the crushed ice in a large glass and pour the cold brew mixture on top.