- So, January is here. Time to detox, or is it? I have to admit that I am not a big fan of the whole “detox smoothie” trend. I think if you take care of your body the whole year long by consuming whole food, water, exercising, sleeping enough and taking a few chosen supplements then this is way better then a smoothie. The one smoothie alone won’t heal you in one go but adding a vegetable, green smoothie now and again to your daily routine will help toward a healthier you.
Okay, so let’s do this. How to make a smoothie?
- Vegetables (choose 2, handful) Spinach Kale Avocado Courgette (cubed and frozen) Cauliflower (steamed, cooled, cubed and frozen) Sweet potato (steamed, cooled, cubed and frozen) Beetroot, cooked and cooled
- Fruits (choose 2, handful) Banana (fresh or freeze them, to make them last longer) Berries (frozen) Pineapple (prepare and freeze) Papaya (prepare and freeze) Mango (prepare and freeze)
- An extra boost (choose 1 or 2, 1 tablespoon) Maca Baobab Lucuma Matcha green tea powder Spirulina (1 teaspoon) Cacao powder Bee pollen MCT oil (Bulletproof XCT oil is a favourite) A green powder mix (Mercola Organic Greens)
- Protein Almond Butter (1-2 tablespoons) Whey or Vegan protein, I prefer to use Vanilla or unflavoured Chia seeds (1-2 tablespoons) Soaked nuts almonds and/or cashew (1/4 cup)
- Liquid (1 cup + extra water) Almond mylk (or make your own) Cashew mylk (or make your own) Coconut milk Coconut water
- Add the ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth. Add more water if needed. It’s that simple.
- Use organic ingredients when possible
- Always use one green veggie
- Prepare lots of bags of fruit and vegetable to freeze
- I admit to using bananas a lot as they make smoothies very creamy and slightly sweet
- Be aware of flavours, what you like and dislike
- Don’t be disheartened when you get a smoothie fail (where it tastes awful), it happens to everybody
- So go ahead, try it. Make yourself a smoothie every few days. Check our instagram and facebook page alongside our blog for recipes and inspiration. Have a healthy year friends.