When my daughter was very little, I used to meet my NCT friends for lunch. We were all in the same boat, teeny tiny babies, not much sleep, emotional and feeding constantly (both the little ones and us too).
Us four girls would meet at this little cafe in town and this is where I discovered this truly amazing dish. It’s tasty and healthy but most importantly filling. Many people might question my version but it works for us.
(serves 2 – generous portions)
- 4 tortillas (I used a whole wheat, seeded shop both version)
- 2-4 eggs (depending on your appetite)
- 125g cheddar (grated) or crumbly goats cheese
- Coconut oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- Himalayan salt
- Black pepper
- 1 large avocado, cubed
- 1 small handful coriander, chopped (and save some for garnish)
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1-2 tablespoons of good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Start by making the sauce, in a large pan, fry (in coconut oil) the onion, garlic, peppers, chilli and chilli powder for about 10 minutes on low heat, to soften the veggies
- Prepare the guacamole by mixing all the ingredients together and set aside
- Add the tinned tomatoes to the sauce and cook for a further 10 minutes, season to taste and set aside. Preheat the oven to gas mark 5
- Prepare 2 large pans by rubbing some oil at the bottom and place a tortilla in each pan. Spoon the tomato sauce in the middle of the tortillas (roughly 1 cup) and make 1 or 2 wells in the sauce to “poach” the eggs in.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and cook in the oven for 5 minutes. Add the remaining tortillas to the oven a few minutes before the cooking time is over to warm them up
- Enjoy warm with the guacamole scattered on top.
Note: to make this meal more protein packed, add a tin of black beans to your tomato sauce.