Blogs from the team

Cream of mushroom and coconut milk

Mushroom soup is definitively one of my favourite lunch - whatever the weather and my mood. It always makes me smile. Mushrooms are very healthy too, for example did you know that they are one of the few sources of edible vitamin D? And we all know how incredibly important Vitamin D is for a healthy body. Mushrooms are also one of the highest antioxidant foods, so it’s no surprise that they have been found to benefit the body’s immune system too. Amazing right? Go on, have a cap...

Ingredients
250g mushrooms (try mixing them up) cleaned and roughly chopped
2 tablespoon coconut oil or grass fed butter
1 large onion, quartered
1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
60g Enerhealth Coconut Powder
1 squeeze of lemon juice (1/4 lemon)
500ml of homemade vegetable stock (or a good quality shop bough version)
1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
Plenty of black pepper

Direction
1. In a large saucepan, melt the coconut oil or butter (or a mix of both) and fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms for 8 minutes, stirring every so often
2. Add the fresh thyme and coconut powder followed by the stock and lemon juice (the powder will clump but don't worry, it will all mix in later when we blend it)
3. Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for a further 15-20 minutes.
4. Using a hand held blender, blitz the mixture and season to taste.

2 thoughts on “Cream of mushroom and coconut milk”

  • Mrs D Heys

    According to Dr Robert O Young
    What he says in his book "The pH Miracle"
    "Edible" Fungus
    Mushrooms of all kinds and in all forms - besides the obvious problem that they are themselves the fruiting bodies of fungus-forms acids as they are digested. They also contain mycotoxins that poison human cells and lead to degenerative deseases. In my opinion, there is not such thing as a good mushroom. the "edible" ones are just less poisonous than the ones that kill you immediately! Don't eat them don't drink them, den't even sniff them. Mushrooms all contain various amounts of the mycotoxin amanitin, which in large amounts, will kill you almost instantly. With smaller amounts the result is the same-it just takes a little longer.
    In a 1979 study, a leading cancer researcher administered mushroom mycotoxins to mice in their drinking water. She noted twenty-one different types of cancer as a result. Now we know that all mushrooms contain at least five active ingredients that exhibit carcinogenic properties in animals.
    Now many impressive health claims have been made for some mushrooms but they do have occasional toxic side effects-and all the same problems as any other mushroom. I believe all of their alleged benefits can easily be obtained in other-safer-ways.

    Reply
    • Henry Maitland

      Hi Mrs Heys

      Thank you for your comment, very interesting. Ive not come across problems with Fungus in this respect however always very interesting to hear a different point of view.

      In health and happiness

      Henry

      Reply
Leave a Reply

More About The Author - Marie-Eve Maitland

Marie-Eve Maitland Marie-Eve (pronounced the French way and, yes, you guessed it, Henry's wife) is our kitchen and food-wiz and is behind our healthy recipes and also manages our twitter account (get in touch!).  Having graduated in dietetics in Canada, Marie-Eve is passionate about eating, discovering new foods and leading a healthy lifestyle to make sure she in tip-top shape to look after her little girl, Elodie. Marie-Eve loves cooking (of course), weight training, yoga, walking, matcha green tea and chocolate (amongst other things).

Health Tip Of The Month

Recipes