I love granola but the majority you find on the market are filled with mostly sugar, even the “healthy” versions. This little gem is vegan, free from refined sugars, dairy, full of goodness and totally delicious. It tastes a bit naughty but the great thing is that it’s not.
And with the kids starting school, a quick and healthy breakfast is needed to make sure they are ready and fulled up.
Add it to your yoghurt, or as a smoothie topper. Have it on its own with a splash of milk (dairy or almond are a fave) or eat it straight out of the jar. It really does taste that good!
Chocolatey Scrummy Granola
- 75g rolled oats
- 75g rye flakes*
- 75g hazelnuts, coarsely chopped (toasted and skinned)
- 50g coconut chips, raw
- 30g cacao nibs
- 25g chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla seeds
- 1 generous pinch of Himalayan salt
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 75ml maple syrup (or honey or coconut nectar)
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 2
- Mix all the dry ingredients (except the cacao powder) together in a big bowl and set aside
- Gently heat the coconut oil and add the maple syrup (or honey or coconut nectar) and cacao powder. Whisk with a fork until no lumps are left. Add this to the dry ingredients and stir
- Place granola mixture on a tray (lined with parchment paper) and pat down and bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Take out of the oven and let cool before breaking into large pieces and storing into an airtight container.
* You can make this recipe gluten free by taking the rye flakes out and replacing them by oats for a total of 150g