We’re right behind The Soil Association’s ‘Organic September’. Their strap-line, ‘Small Changes, Big Difference’ is to focus shoppers on discovering their own favourite organic products …There are lots of ways to take part … you could replace just one of your everyday products with an organic one instead, a food item, household cleaning or a beauty product. Or what about a veg box delivery or buying your fruit and veg from your local organic farm instead of the from the supermarket shelves.
You’ll not only benefit the planet but you’ll also be benefiting your health because going organic means …
- Being safe in the knowledge that hydrogenated fats and controversial additives like aspartame, tartrazine and MSG are banned under organic standards.
- Reducing pollution and greenhouse gases released by the non-organic food industry through the use of artificial chemical fertilisers and pesticides.
- Benefiting animal welfare, organic standards insist that animals are given plenty of space and fresh air to thrive and grow – guaranteeing a truly free-range life.
- Avoiding GM crops and ingredients, all of which are banned under organic standards.
HOW TO GO ORGANIC
Here are our top 5 steps
- Make a point of acquainting yourself with a local farm shop – you might need to try a few to find ‘yours’, but there’s a growing number that produce their own organic fruit and veg.
- Familiarize yourself with the dirty dozen and make a decision about how you’re going to deal with these in your life.
- Switch to organic and natural cleaning products that aren’t polluting the planet.
- Many everyday beauty brands are literally poisoning us and many of the natural, organic alternatives actually work better. Many ‘beauty’ chemicals get stored in your body’s cells, which over time accumulate, causing health problems in later life. Make the switch to natural beauty products – the market demand is increasing and you should be able to find a brand that won’t break the bank.
- Eat foods that are closer to nature, food with greater nutritional potency and foods with greater energetic potential. The easiest foodstuffs to start the change are milk, butter and fruits.