This was my first ever "healthy" recipe. I made it for the first time over 20 years ago in my Home Economic class. I was about 14 years old at the time, listening to Nirvana and Green Day on my portable CD player (remember those, they had to be upright or the CD would scratch - ah the memories). I have made it countless times and it's still as good today as it was all these years ago and it's easy to make.
This recipe contains wholegrain rice, spinach, butter (or coconut oil), an egg and cheese. I hope you enjoy as much as we do.
- 250g wholegrain and wild rice mix (or brown rice)
- 200g organic baby spinach
- 75g grated organic cheddar + 10g for the topping
- 1 tablespoon organic grassfed butter (or coconut oil)
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 1 organic egg, beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Topping 10g of cheddar (see above)
- 2 tablespoon of seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, hemp, flax and/or linseed or a mix)
- Line a bread tin with coconut oil and/or baking parchment and preheat the oven to gas mark 5
- Cook the rice according to the instructions on the packet minus 5-10 minutes so it's al dente (still has a bite)
- Drain the rice in a large bowl and immediately start to mix in the spinach (the heat of the rice will wilt the spinach). Once all the spinach has been incorporated add the remainder of the ingredients
- Spoon the mix in the bread tin, gently level it and add the topping
- Cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes
- It's lovely either hot or cool the following day for lunch.