Blackberry season started early this year due to hot weather, so hopefully by the time you get this recipe you will have had time to pick some (they grow everywhere but try and gather them away from roads and polluted areas).
As a side note, blackberries freeze extremely well. Once you have gathered and cleaned them, let them dry out a bit, put them on a baking sheet on the freezer and once they are frozen solid (a few hours should do) transfer them to a container and back in the freezer they go. This method will prevent them from sticking to one another.
Blackberries are extremely nutritious and contain high levels of vitamins, minerals and fibre.
- 160g flour
- 80g coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch Himalayan crystal salt
- 150g coconut sugar + 1 tablespoon for the topping (optional)
- 175g coconut oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 2 apples – coarsely grated
- 80ml (1/2 cup) unsweetened almond milk
- 250g blackberries
- Set your oven to gas mark 4 (180C) and line a 21cm round cake tin with some greaseproof paper
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt
- In a separate bowl, using a hand held mixer, combine the coconut sugar and coconut oil. Add the eggs, one at a time, vanilla & almond drink
- Add the coconut sugar mixture to the flours and mix well until no lumps are left
- With a wooden spoon, mix in the apples and then gently fold 200g of the blackberries
- Tip the mixture into the baking tin, level and then add the remaining blackberries to the top and press them in gently
- Sprinkle a bit more coconut sugar on the top (optional)
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 1 ½ hour. Check the cake after 1 hour and if it’s getting too dark, cover the tin with aluminium foil. The cake is ready when you insert a knife in the middle and it comes out clean
- Let cool in the tin for 30 minutes then transfer to a baking rack.
- This cake is better cold, on its own or with a cup of tea, coffee or Matcha green tea. It’s definitively worth the effort. I am already being asked when I will make some more!